Friday, April 8, 2011

Our Big Fat GREEN Wedding

Early on we decided that it was important for our wedding to have a big impact on us and our family, and a little impact on our environment.

Here are some things that we have done to reduce, reuse and recycle our way to the big day:

-All our centerpieces are used crystal bud vases, mason jars, and used picture frames from goodwill. I spent 5 months making trips to Goodwill, so much so that they started calling me 'The Wedding Girl'. I hope my tables will look like this:


-We are using all locally grown, bulk and overstock flowers. I didnt get to choose exaclty what flowers I would get- but that didnt bother me one bit. We also got an excellent deal on them.

-I purchased my dress second hand! It was crazy and I wouldnt recommend this to anyone who is looking for the easiest route. I shopped all the bridal bouiques and collect style numbers of my 3 favorites. Knowing that it might be hard to find 'The one' I never got attached to any of them. When I found one unaltered in my size on Craigslist.org I purchased it (at $150 it definately didnt break the bank). When the dress arrived it looked as good as new! Turns out the bride that it belonged to married a minister- so needless to say she wasn't partying down in it! I got it altered locally for under $100 and it is perfection!

-I have been saving up wine bottles. I am not a wine drinker myself so I had to recruit my wino friends to help out - and boy did they ever! I plan to use these to decorate in the pole shed. Like this:
-Attire: The bridesmaids are wearing dresses that I found on etsy.com that are eco and only 80 bucks- they are made of bamboo and are so adorable my bridesmaids can wear them anywhere again...really! They each got to pick out a different style so they were able to choose what looked best on them! Most of the groomsmen in the wedding were in a wedding last year and all purchased dark grey suites- they will wear them again.


Surprisingly, this whole green thing has been quite simple! And the cost savings are tremendous!

-Liz

0 comments:

Post a Comment