Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nerves and The Garden Hose

I have my first traditional bridal shower this weekend, and while I am completely flattered at the gesture of everyone wanting to get together for a pre-wedding celebration, the idea of getting gifts for basically doing nothing makes me feel anxious. Probably wont be as uncomfortable as the 'Amelia Bedelia' showers I read about as a kid, but just out of my element I guess.


I'm the middle child, so I'm not used to a whole lot of attention...I am used to getting gifts on Christmas and Birthdays (I say Birthdays with an 's' because when I was little my G-Ma would always get me a gift on my big sister's birthday too since I was cursed with a b-day too close to Jesus' -  My G-Ma was cool that way) But I feel like getting a gift for finding the right guy seems weird. We have already started our life together, and though most of our 'stuff' is not the best we have everything we need to get by on a day to day basis. My Macy's registry consists of 4 items, one of which is discontinued.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for traditions and am very excited to spend the day with NPZ's family. I love all of them and they are always such a blast to hang out with. It's just the idea of being showered upon. Also, the act of sitting in front of everyone and opening gifts one by one. I don't like to have a lot of attention on me at one time, thankfully there is a new baby in the family- I am SUPER excited to meet her, I haven't held a brand new baby in SO long! I cant wait for that!

Does anyone else feel awkward at the concept of the bridal shower? Or is it just me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Showers are SO wierd, I have similar anxieties about them. Opening presents in front of people is the worst, especially from that one wierd (insert strange relative here) that you are never sure of the gift may be. Either way enjoy it as much as possible, it's always fun to get new stuff once your home to enjoy it : ) One piece of advice, don't go traditional when it comes to the gift opening after your wedding day. Craziest thing I ever heard of if you ask me, you and Nick will be really ready for it to be just the two of you (and it's kind of fun to just open together so you can be yourself, i.e. giggle about some of the strange things you might get, or reminisce about the big day together). Anyway, take it from me, be a bit selfish and skip the traditional gift opening, Bob and I did and it was GREAT! Besides, by the time a wedding has come and gone I think you already followed enough rules about how you are supposed to conduct yourself on your wedding.... Can't wait for the BIG day, getting really excited for your bachelorette party and dare I say it... your next shower! hehehe ; )

ana

Liz said...

I told NPZ about your idea and he was thrilled with the idea!! Thanks!

Laynie said...

I'm sorry EDZ(!!!), but we are coming to your gift opening. Well stand outside the livingroom window with hoisted children if neccessary. Sorry to crash your gift opening.

Post a Comment